Things to do
Maps & Guides
Heritage & Culture
Adventure & Sport
Nature & Wildlife
Arts & Crafts
Food & Produce
Boutique & Apartments
Farm & Homestays
Caravans & Camping
Sport & Recreation
Shop & Eat
Parks & Gardens
Schools & Education
Remote & Digital
Invest & Develop
Start a business
Buy a business
The latest on local Economic Development for Glen Innes Highlands.
May 20, 2021
From the budget announcements to pushing 'GO' on local economic development initiatives here is a quick update:
Budget 2021-22 - What's in it for Small Business?
The best summary I've found is on business.gov.au - there is support to meet employment obligations; a campaign to encourage people to support local; support to improve mental wellbeing; ongoing support for the Payment Times Reporting Scheme; support for dispute resolutions; a process to pause any ATO debt recovery actions; extension of the temporary full expensing and temporary loss carry-back; Expanding the $1 billion JobTrainer Fund; Increasing current wage subsidies and more for job seekers and employers
Budget Support to Improve Digital Capability - Australian Small Business Advisory Services program
Don't miss out on this one!
$12.7 million is allocated in 2021-22 to support an additional 10,000 small businesses to use digital technologies and improve their digital capability as part of the Digital Solutions – Australian Small Business Advisory Services program.
Top-10 Project Update
1. RFQ for a Housing Assessment & Future Plan - Completed and currently assessing proposals.
2. RFQ for a Regional Powerhouse Museum Business Case - see update below.
3. Jobs & Skills Gaps Research - The Workforce attraction and retention draft has been delivered and is currently in review. This will be one of the next workshops for the GROW Glen Innes THINK TANK.
4. Escape Rooms for November 2021 launch - Mystery Rooms are building the games ready to fit out into the new local premises.
5. New England High Country Marketing Campaign - Nature-based Tourism campaign is scheduled to start in June following the launch of the new website.
6. Glen Innes Highlands Marketing Campaigns - The 'Visit' tourism campaign continues to perform and we launched the 'Live' campaign which has had over 700K views. View the ad here
7. Australia Celtic FRINGE Festival - Done and dusted for another year!
8. New Local Economic Development Support Fund - Now open for applications - see more information below.
9. Grants and Funding - Focus is on the Stronger Country Communities Fund and the Regional Acceleration Fund applications.
10. Highlands Hub - Community Hub Digital Launch - We're at build stage and hop to launch soon!
Want more detail?
Make sure you view my reports to Council within the monthly Council Business Papers here
Manager Economic Development
Glen Innes Severn Council
02 67 302 403
For information on Grant opportunities see our news page
Stay 'OPEN FOR BUSINESS' for the BIG JUNE LONG WEEKEND - there is so much on we're expecting more visitors to town looking for places to eat, drink and shop.
Here is the line up:
GLENROCK LIVE ENTERTAIMENT
DEEPWATER BREWING LIVE MUSIC
CELTIC LANGUAGE RETREAT
NEW ENGLANDS ALPACA SHOW
POP-UP ARTIST RESIDENCIES
Regional Development Australia Northern Inland (RDANI) were successful in a Request for Quote to develop a concept proposal and Business Case to re-establish a Powerhouse Museum in Glen Innes.
The Powerhouse Museum in Glen Innes was once open to the public to visit and still has basic infrastructure in place for visitors to walk around the machinery. The exhibition and storage of collections in capitals limits access and awareness of Australian and culture to those either residing within those cities.
RDANI will collaborate with Council and Community including the New England Heritage Tractor Club, History House Museum to bring the idea to life and assess it's local economic development potential.
Marrianne la Cour and Peter Grimes were the successful artists for Council's Pop-Up Artist in Residency Initiative funded by Council and in conjunctions with Council's Public Arts reference Group.
During the month of JUNE 2021 these two talented local artist will be in residence at the 'Old Holden Building'.
Drop in during the opening hours to purchase some of their art, discuss their craft and you can also book into a workshop over the month.
When: JUNE 3 - 27 10am - 4pm Thursday - Sunday
Where: OLD HOLDEN BUILDING / 167 Grey Street
I'd like to find out about:
2023 © All Rights Reserved.
Website designed by gocrossmedia and built by Cloud Concepts